The sun is out and people are traveling…It’s summertime!! Whether you are flying or driving, eating healthy while traveling can be easy if you are prepared. When you arrive at your destination, it’s important to stay with a plan as much as possible.
Here are a few things I suggest in order to stay on track:
1) HYDRATE! MOST IMPORTANT- Always have a filled water bottle. Add lemons, limes, oranges or grapefruits to make it more appealing. People tend to drink more with a hint of unsweetened flavor. Stay away from buying drinks with added sugar or adding flavored sugar to your water. This can make you more thirsty or hungry when you really aren’t!
2) Pack easy, convenient foods including:
- Nut mix with dried fruit
- Protein bars (200 calories with at least 10-15 gr of protein)
- Natural peanut butter/Almond butter with apple
- String cheese/cheese sticks (ice pack needed) with rice or whole wheat crackers
- Cut up veggies with portable Greek yogurt dip (plain greek yogurt mixed with ranch seasoning)
3) If fast food is on the agenda, try to stay away from higher fat and sodium foods, I recommend: grilled chicken sandwiches, chicken salads with vinaigrette dressing, egg wraps on flat-bread, chicken or grilled shrimp tacos, single burgers with no extra toppings (mayo, house sauces). Save yourself 400 calories by NOT supersizing and skip the fries if you can.
It’s not about being perfect, it’s about doing the best you can to live a healthy life! Don’t forget to have that occasional ice cream cone! It is summer!